Monday, May 30, 2016

How I Saved a Town by Spending a Day at Its KFC Buffet


The author surrounded by golden, crispy buckets of goodness. All photos by the author

This article originally appeared in VICE Canada.

Going to Weyburn, Saskatchewan is like a warm embrace from an overly religious auntie and brushing up against a batch of her skin tags. It's weird, but sometimes you have to do it. My Weyburn calling came in the form of rumours that an infamous KFC buffet, one of the only ones left in Canada, might be ending due to a decree from the chicken lords high upon the KFC corporate chain. My world exploded at the news that one of Colonel Sanders' most beautiful creations in Weyburn could be next on the buffet chopping block. From magazine-of-record Macleans to Premier Brad Wall, everyone had something to say about the buffet. The company issued a statement the buffet would remain open, but didn't say for how long.

Last week, there was a kind of sit-in eat-fest/artery-explosion suicide pact as hundreds flocked from across this country to the rural KFC to protest the rumoured murder of the buffet. Obviously, I had to go there for VICE and embed myself with the locals for a deep investigation. I decided to spend eight hours in the KFC and eat from the buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus snacks. I had a lot of support for my KFC marathon from family and friends in Regina.

No comments:

Post a Comment