Thursday, December 20, 2018

We Asked People About the Worst Thing We'd Find in Their Facebook Messages

This article originally appeared on VICE UK.

We've all got our demons, many of which are tucked away in the archives of our Facebook Messenger chats. Good news for everyone, then, that Facebook has been caught dishing out these private chats to streaming services Spotify and Netflix, as well as a number of other tech firms.

While the social media giant faces backlash, I had a walk around and asked the general public if they're biting their nails over Facebook’s latest gaffe.

CAROLINE, 26

1545302324333-James-1

VICE: What's the worst thing Facebook would see in your private messages?
James: I mean, I'm actually pretty comfortable with Facebook reading my information. That may be a little unorthodox, but I think overall a big company shouldn't care about me, other than things they can market at me.

So you wouldn't mind about things you've said privately being seen by other people?
I guess it depends. Like, if there's regulations on how they can use the info then it's fine by me. But then, if it’s a free for all, it’s a bit iffy, you know? At the end of the day, though, no one should care what I do. I'm a 25-year-old student who's probably not going into politics, so I think I'll survive.

What do you think the worst thing about Facebook is now?
It's too time consuming, and, you know... old people.

Do you think Facebook's still alive and kicking, or is it on its way out?
I think certain parts of it, like Facebook groups—buy, sell, trade, the events, for example—are alive and well. But Facebook for what it was meant to be originally is definitely dying.

How far do you go in making sure your social media profiles are private?
I did at one point, but I figured out there's so many people using the internet now, you'll just get lost in the mass of people using it anyway.

Sign up for our newsletter to get the best of VICE delivered to your inbox daily.



from VICE https://ift.tt/2LuLNbJ
via cheap web hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment